Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I just ate a supermodel.

So. Lesson one of switching from corn-fed beef to grass-fed beef. There is much less fat in grass-fed beef. This means that your tasty roast doesn't have as much fat to render out of it. This means that you overcooked the shit out of your tasty roast and, while still relatively tasty, has gone a bit rubbery.

I've been roasting Cartman for dinner and now I've just been given a side of Elle MacPherson.

My normal game plan for roasting beef chuck roasts has been as follows:

30 minutes one side, with the olive oil/garlic/sea salt/pepper/rosemary+sage mix at 350. 30 minutes the other side. Then, add the veggies, and do 45 minutes, flip, 45 minutes. Dine. Normally it comes out perfect and practically self bastes. I must practice more.

Also, smaller onions caramelize faster. Their layers are thinner so they lose their liquid much faster. What's left is wonderful to eat but therein lies the problem - there's not much left after I'm done. If I weren't doing Paleo I'd happily scrape the shit out of the bottom of the pan and make myself some gravy, but I'm doing Paleo and there's that whole "no alcohol" policy that prevents me from deglazing. I suppose I could make some beef stock, but that is a three hour affair. I suppose I could also make some chicken stock too. I'll work up to that.

Pulled 7 hours of sleep last night. Still feel tired.

I had a plan for breakfast this morning - go to work before 9:30 and hit up some fried eggs and bacon, then eat some raspberries. 35W conspired to make me miss that target. So I figured hey, they sell hard boiled eggs, I'll grab some of that and a veggie cup. Only one sad looking egg left with a big crack in the shell (oh hell no) and no veggie tray. I am not risking an afternoon of volcanic ass piss for a single hardboiled egg.

So I've got about a 6 oz portion of beef roast and a sweet potato from last night for lunch. Went downstairs and got a double helping of steamed broccoli with a pepper in there and one sorry looking piece of squash. I also bought two eggs for around 3 PM when I know I'll be hungry again. I have a pack of raspberries. Half a tank of gas. It's dark out and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Weighed myself post-morning constitutional - 193.5.

I still have half a chicken left for dinner in the fridge at home. I should be good for tonight.

1 comment:

  1. You just ate a supermodel. Not many can say they have done that!

    Good going Kevin. You'll figure it out! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete